Five-fold protection thanks to five layers: MAHLE develops premium cabin filter CareMetix
Stuttgart, 13 September 2016 – When a vehicle is in operation, more than 100,000 litres of air are swept into the cabin every hour. Conventional cabin air filters ensure that as few pollutants as possible enter the driver’s cab. The new CareMetix cabin filter from MAHLE does more: CareMetix keeps all stresses to a new, absolute minimum. The new S5 broadband technology filters ordinary solid matter and gas particles from the ambient air, while also reliably eliminating odours.
The air that surrounds us actually contains numerous particles, gases, and odours that can be annoying in the compact area of the cabin and in the worst case can trigger allergies or even be harmful to health. The new MAHLE CareMetix cabin air filter counters these stresses to the respiratory tracts with the S5 broadband technology. “The performance of CareMetix is vastly superior to all solutions that have been previously offered in this area. The innovation lies the completely new adsorber, which in addition to gas adsorption, eliminates odours of all types and intensity,” explains Olaf Henning, Member of the Management Committee and Managing Director of MAHLE Aftermarket GmbH. “Numerous test persons have confirmed from the experience that there is currently no comparable product available in the market.”
The selected media, surface finish, and pleat geometry are crucial to the performance of cabin filters with activated carbon and adsorber layer. The MAHLE CareMetix cabin filter represents the ideally coordinated combination of five specialised layers that significantly optimise the effectiveness of the filter and expand the filter spectrum for the first time in such a way that it even eliminates odours. Independent institutes have also confirmed the bio-functional effect of the innovative filter element, namely the protection from microorganisms and allergens.
The combination of a high-performance particulate filter layer, a molecular sieve layer, two different activated carbon layers for the adsorption of organic and inorganic gases, and an additional protective coating comprehensively thwarts the incoming solid matter and gas particles already before they can enter the cabin.
- Allergens, as they occur annually in spring in the form of pollen, are effectively blocked and deactivated.
- Brake dust, diesel soot, fine particulates, and tyre debris, which are further transported by exhaust fumes from the preceding traffic, are completely filtered out. As a result, the cabin remains almost free from the smallest particulates (PM 2.5). In addition, sensitive components of the air conditioning system are protected from wear.
- Micro-organisms such as bacteria are prevented from spreading—even on the filter medium itself.
- The same applies to moulds and spores, which spread rapidly during humid and warm weather. They are kept out of the vehicle and have no opportunity to collect on the filter medium.
- In addition to gas adsorption, what makes MAHLE CareMetix a worldwide novelty is its ability to eliminate odours of all types and intensity. Be it in a traffic jam, tunnels, at large construction sites, or near water treatment plants or agricultural facilities: CareMetix protects from unpleasant, pungent odours such as tar vapours as well as sulphur and ammonia gases by completely neutralising them. This has been demonstrated not only in the laboratory, but also by comprehensive stress tests in everyday driving situations.
MAHLE is a leading international development partner and supplier to the automotive industry. With its products for combustion engines and their peripherals as well as solutions for electric vehicles, the group addresses all the crucial issues related to the powertrain and air conditioning technology—from engine systems and components to filtration to thermal management. In 2015, the group generated sales of approximately EUR 11.5 billion with around 76,000 employees and is represented in 34 countries with over 170 production locations.
About MAHLE Aftermarket
The MAHLE Aftermarket business unit is a global partner to repair shops and trade, offering first-rate service solutions for maintenance and service with its special equipment and spare parts in original equipment quality. MAHLE Aftermarket is represented at 22 locations worldwide, with 1,582 employees, and generated sales of EUR 835 million in 2015.
Find out more about MAHLE Aftermarket GmbH at
MAHLE International GmbH
Corporate Communications | Public Relations
Phone: +49 711 501-13185